Sports Therapy is an aspect of healthcare that is concerned with the prevention of injury and the rehabilitation of the patient back to optimum levels of functional, occupational and sports specific fitness, regardless of age and ability. It utilises the principles of sport and exercise sciences incorporating physiological and pathological processes to prepare the participant for training, competition and where applicable, work.
A Sports Therapist is a healthcare professional who has the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Utilise sports and exercise principles to optimise performance, preparation and injury prevention programmes
- Provide the immediate care of injuries and basic life support in a recreational, training & competitive environment
- Assess, treat and, where appropriate
- Refer on for specialist advice and intervention
- Provide appropriate sport and remedial massage in a sport & exercise context
- Plan and implement appropriate rehabilitation programmes
Sport and Exercise Therapy is not just about Sports Massage. However, Sports Therapists will possess massage skills that are an integral part of their scope of practice
Sports Therapists are not Physiotherapists, but Sports Therapists will apply “physiotherapy” skills because physiotherapy is defined as “the treatment of disease, injury or deformity by physical methods including massage, heat treatment, electricity and exercise, rather than drugs or surgery”
What happens during your Sports Therapy appointment?
A full history of your condition will be discussed and after an appropriate assessment of the area an individual treatment plan will be discussed, then implemented by providing the appropriate exercise, massage and/or stretching techniques. If I feel that an alternative action may be required, for example referral to a doctor I shall do so.
Your first appointment will be 45 minutes to enable full assessment and possibly begin treatment. Follow up appointments will be 30minutes of treatment/exercise prescription. Please wear appropriate clothing for the area being treated.
– Initial consultation 45 minutes – £55
– Follow up 30 minutes – £45